Friday, January 23, 2009

Elephant Walk

I had a delicious soup last night that surprised me as much as my tastebuds. I went a' searching for some sort of recipe online and Lo! — was immediately directed to a Google Books result which featured a volume of recipes published by none other than the restaurant we went to.
People should eat with their professors more often. Eating is a humbling experience which involves opening your mouth in front of another person but not to speak. To add vulnerability to the mix, every moment contains the potential for your food to escape your mouth altogether and end up on your shirt instead.
The best excuse for cigarette-smoking I ever heard was that it provided a natural pause during conversation. And an elegant one at that.
Now I can safely say that the best dinner amongst academics I ever had involved a lot wine, a lot of frank opinions, and a clear, chicken-based stock simmered with lemongrass, tomatoes, and shrimp, served with mint and basil leaves.
No cigarette needed- the lull of good conversation and good food was enough to satisfy me plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment